Tips For Creating Your Online Identity
18 January 2011 · 1 minute read
- Own and control your data. Don’t depend on social websites to host your data for you.
- Buy (rent) your own domain name, such as yourname.com — gandi.net is a good domain name registrar. At least register for a free service which you can upgrade later, such as yourname.wordpress.com or wordpress.org if you want to learn a bit more.
- Rent hosting space from a trusted web host, preferably one you pay for. Eg: Wordpress Premium. Then point your domain name to it and learn how to publish content.
- Have your Curriculum Vitæ, ‘About’ page, favorite photo of yourself, favorite books, and so on on your site, and link to it from other social sites instead of keeping all this information exclusively on other sites. When you search for your name on a search engine your site should be the first result.
- Create at least some original content. Don’t just link to other content.
- Learn some basic HTML. At least learn the link tag:
<a href="http://worldofends.com/">This is a link</a>.